CS 338 Computer Applications in Business: Database
Assignment #3 – ERD and Mapping
1. Assume the following diagram is part of the ER diagram for the University of Waterloo student
database. I have included the Dia file for this question so that you can directly modify the diagram
using Dia, export it as a picture and insert the picture into your answer.
• Modify the diagram to indicate the primary key for each entity.
• Determine whether each entity is a weak entity. If so, make appropriate change on the ER
• Add participation constraint and cardinality constraint to each relationship.
2. Draw an entity-relationship diagram to store the WWII capital ship information described in
Assignment #2. Its relational scheme was given, which should provide sufficient hints about entities,
attributes, primary keys and relationships. The sample data could also be useful in determining proper
participation constraints and cardinality constraints.
3. Based on the function, information and your own experience about the discussion board on the CSS
338 Learn site, draw an entity-relationship diagram to store postings and related information about
the CS 338 discussion forum. Make your own assumptions based on your understanding of the
problem when needed. Your assumptions will be graded by their reasonableness.
4. The following is a description of some data requirements for a chain of pharmacies. Draw the
appropriate entity-relationship diagram. Clearly show all entities, attributes, primary keys,
relationships, cardinality constraints, and participation constraints. Make your own assumptions based
on your understanding of the problem when needed. Your assumptions will be graded by their
A pharmaceutical company manufactures one or more drugs, and each drug is
manufactured and marketed by exactly one pharmaceutical company. Drugs are sold in
pharmacies. Each pharmacy has a unique identification. Every pharmacy sells one or more
drugs, but some pharmacies do not sell every drug. Drug sales must be recorded by
prescription, which are kept as a record by the pharmacy. A prescription clearly identifies
the drug, physician, and patient, as well as the date it is filled. Doctors prescribe drugs for
patients. A doctor can prescribe one or more drugs for a patient and a patient can get one
or more prescriptions, but a prescription is written by only one doctor. Pharmaceutical
companies may have long-term contracts with pharmacies and a pharmacy can contract
with zero, one, or more pharmaceutical companies. Each contract is uniquely identified by
a contract number.
5. Map the following ER diagram into a relational schema. Make sure to include proper primary keys
and foreign keys.
6. Map the following ER diagram into a relational schema. Make sure to include proper primary keys
and foreign keys.
7. Below is an ER diagram for a database that may be used to keep track of transport ships and their
locations for maritime authorities. Map this schema into a relational schema, and specify all primary
keys and foreign keys.
8. Rapid Pathogen Screening Inc. has been providing outstanding service to the community since 1984.
They are old-fashioned and always do things by hand on paper. Now they want to modernize their
practice. You have been requested to design a database to store information on sales. A customer sales
order form is attached on the last page. Based on the form, identify the entities and attributes. Then
draw a complete entity-relationship diagram to model the data in the sales form. Make sure to
include proper primary keys, relationships, cardinality constraints, and participation constraints. Make
your own assumptions based on your und
本网站支持淘宝 支付宝 微信支付 paypal等等交易。如果不放心可以用淘宝交易！
E-mail: [email protected] 微信:itcsdx