CSCI 620/Section 02/Mior, Introduction to Big Data, Spring 2195
Assignment 3 – Normalization
1. Provide a program to create a new relation which is the result of joining Movie,
Movie_Genre, Genre, Member, Movie_Actor, and Actor_Movie_Role from
assignment 2. Restrict yourself to the following attributes: movieId, type,
startYear, runtime, avgRating, genreId, genre, memberId, birthYear, role. Only
use movies whose runtimes are greater or equal than 90 minutes and those
where an actor only plays a single role in a given movie. Explain your decisions.
(Hint: When creating the new relation, you need to uniquely identify each tuple.)
2. Provide a program implementing the naïve approach to discover functional
dependencies on the relation from question 1. Run your program for a while and
provide an estimate on the time it should take to complete. Explain your answer.
3. Provide a program implementing the pruning approach to discover functional
dependencies on the relation from question 1. Your program needs to discover
functional dependencies with combinations of no more than two attributes on
the left-hand side in the previous relation in less than five hours. Report the
functional dependencies your program finds and provide examples of pruning
functional dependencies. Explain your answer.
4. Assuming that there are no more minimal functional dependencies than the
ones computed in Question 3 (combinations of no more than two attributes on
the left-hand side), explain the outcome if we do not restrict that “an same actor
only plays a single role in a given movie” as in question 1.
5. Implement all necessary steps to compute a 3NF decomposition of the relation
from question 1 given the set of functional dependencies discovered in question
3. Provide the results (candidate keys, canonical cover, final decomposition).
本网站支持淘宝 支付宝 微信支付 paypal等等交易。如果不放心可以用淘宝交易！
E-mail: [email protected] 微信:itcsdx