Assignment 1 – Creating a WordPress Website
Student First Name:
Student Last Name:
Students are welcome to work together, but each student must create their own website.
The “Topic” of the website will be “The Future of Computers” and should reflect your own thoughts and ideas on what the future of computing is.
After completing this assignment you will be able to:
- Create a WordPress Page
- Choose a template for your page
- Customize the page
- Use plugins for additional functionality
NOW THAT WE HAVE AUTHORED A BASIC WEBSITE, WE WILL LEARN ABOUT CMS (CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS). CMS ALLOWS US TO CREATE CUSTOM WEBSITES WITHOUT USING COMPLEX HTML CODING.
PART A – CREATING A WORDPRESS BLOG – 20 MARKS
- Open an internet browser and navigate to: http://wordpress.com
- On the main page click “Get Started”
- Fill in all the information it asks for and hit “Continue”.
- Enter a keyword and when the options come up, select the first “Free” option.
- On the next page, take note of the non-free options and what you get with each tier. Then select “Start with Free” at the bottom of the page.
- Type in your Seneca email address, login and password. (Make sure to write down these credentials or store them somewhere safe)
- Finally, hit continue to be directed to the dashboard.
- Open your Seneca email and make sure to hit “Click Here to Confirm Now” in order to activate your WordPress Account.
- Congratulations, you have now created your WordPress Page.
WE WILL NOW CUSTOMIZE OUR SITE. YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH THE FOLLOWING TASKS BY DOING RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET. USE THE SEARCH METHODS YOU LEARNED FROM THE PREVIOUS LAB TO FIND TUTORIALS OR INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE INTERNET AND ACCOMPLISH THE FOLLOWING TASKS
HERE ARE SOME HELPFUL RESOURCES:
Free resources, such as Images, Music and Tools:
More about websites including tips and tricks for creating and optimizing:
PART B – CUSTOMIZING YOUR WORDPRESS PAGE – 30 MARKS
- Choose and install a new “Theme” – 5 marks
- Change the site title and add a tag line. – 5 marks
- Customize the font and background colour. – 5 marks
- Set a static homepage and properly set homepage. – 5 marks
- Create 3 “Pages” and put in the following:
- Page 1 – Text – 5 marks
- Page 2 – Photos – 5 marks
- Page 3 – Video (use embed code) – 5 marks
- Edit the menu to show “Home” as well as the 3 pages you created – 5 marks
- Set your site’s privacy to “private”.
- Grades will also be assigned to overall look and feel of the website (ie. Making sure there is no placeholder information and making it look and feel like a real website) – 10 marks
When you are finished, go into the assignments section of BlackBoard and create a text submission. Be sure to include the following information:
- Link to your website
- Login and password to the WordPress CMS
本网站支持淘宝 支付宝 微信支付 paypal等等交易。如果不放心可以用淘宝交易！
E-mail: [email protected] 微信:itcsdx